August 2, 2015

Off to College: New Adventures and New Beginnings

It’s an exciting time in my life. Two days from now I will be leaving my home of over 13 years. Chicago has been cold, snowy, and windy. But it has also been the place where I have met lifelong friends, fallen in (and out) of love, discovered my passions, and grown into the person I am today.

So how do you leave a place like that?


I’m not quite sure how to answer. I 
can’t say that Auburn will be better than Chicago, and I can’t say it will be worse. I just know it will be different. I will no longer be able to drive around the corner and spend hours with my closest friends watching those cheesy werewolf and horror shows we like. Portillos isn’t ten minutes away from home and ten minutes away from me having a heart attack over crinkled fries and melted cheese. The streets won’t stretch to the sky with tall, intimidating buildings and a weird sculpture whose shape can only be described as a ‘bean’. 


As I stare at my reflection and the lakefront that lies behind it, I’m scared.


What if I’m making the wrong choice? How do I know I’ll fit in and find friends? What happens next?


………………


Life is always full of unanswered questions. ‘What if’s’ are running through our heads every day.


Why live life worrying about the unknown? 


I know that it will be scary and that my world will entirely change. There will be ups and downs. Times will be good and times will be bad.


But I have faith.


I have faith in my ability to meet new people. I have faith in my zeal for life. I have faith in my compassion and care for others. But most of all I have faith in my God.


I know He has lead to a new home for a reason. I trust in His direction in my life and who I am to become. He loves me and wants to further shape me into his image. This time of life will be one filled with tears and joy. I will devout myself to my love of life and love of Jesus. The unknowns will always exist. But God has known of my life’s path long before I was born. And I trust in His will and my purpose. His blessings are endless and in this transition to independence I know I must rely on Him. 


So it is with excitement, nervousness, and faith that I move forward into my adulthood and into my college life. And there’s no where else I would wish to do it than Auburn University.






 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11